Step 1) How to install Keil uVision for the ARM, MDK-Lite (32KB) Edition
We are using Keil uVision IDE version 5.2, and we are writing software in C. Any version of 5.2 should be ok. These programs only run on Windows (XP, Vista, 7, 8, or 10.) There is a way to install software on a Macintosh so Windows and its applications will run on the Macintosh, see running Keil and TExaS on a Macintosh. We are really sorry, but there are no solutions for Linux. The Keil application does not require a serial number or license key. Software for this course will not run with Keil uVision version 4.7. However, it is possible to install both Keil uVision 4.74 and Keil uVision 5.2 on the same computer.
1) Go to https://www.keil.com/demo/eval/arm.htm. Enter your contact information with valid address, phone and email. Set your Company to your school, your company, or this class edX UT.12.01x. Set your devices to the Texas Instruments (TI) and Cortex-M4. Fill in all fields of this form. It should not cost any money, and you can select or not select whether you want email from ARM. ARM does provide support for Keil via its ARM University. So if you have any Keil-specific questions you could register and post them at http://www.arm.com/university/
2) Right-click on mdk521A.exe and download this 620M file to your computer.
3) Execute the mdk521A.exe file, installing the application some place easy to find, like C:\Keil or D:\Keil. You will need to find the Keil directory because the TExaS example files will be loaded into this same directory. After you have run the mdk521a.exe installer, you will not need this file. However, you can use this file to install Keil on additional computers.
A slide show of the process to download and install Keil 5.21a can be seen at slide show.
Step 2) TExaS Lab Graders for Labs 1 to 5
Download TExaS for Labs 1,2,3,4,5 saving the 104M file on your computer. There is one DLL extension to the Keil uVision IDE for the TM4C123, but this extension is not needed in the class. The graders are embedded into the Lab starter projects, which you can see as TExaS.o object files. There is also an application called TExaSdisplay that provides interaction with your serial port software running on the LaunchPad. TExaSdisplay is like HyperTerminal or PuTTy but much simpler. The application TExaSdisplay also provides a simple oscilloscope and voltmeter, which is a voltage versus time graphical plot measured from PD3. We have named this set of DLL, starter projects, and application as Test EXecute and Simulate or TExaS. You will need to first install Keil before installing TExaS. Assume you installed Keil into the folder C:\Keil, then you will find the TMC123 starter projects in the C:\Keil\TM4C123Valvanoware folder, and you will find the MSP432 starter projects in the C:\Keil\MSP432ValvanoWare folder. If you have installed TExaS before and you are using this installer to upgrade to the newest version of TExaS, we suggest you backup any software you have edited/written before installing TExaS.
A slide show of the process to download and install Keil can be seen at slide show.
Step 3) Windows drivers for the TM4C123 LaunchPad board
Install drivers after steps 1 and 2 are complete. Once Keil and TExaS are installed you will need to install the windows drivers for the Texas Instruments microcontroller board. The process is the same for both the TM4C123 and the MSP432 LaunchPads. You will need the actual physical LaunchPad board to complete this step. So if you have ordered your board and it hasn't yet arrived, bookmark this page and come back once your board arrives. Installing drivers can be tricky so here are two alternative methods to installing drivers.
Method 1 uses drivers that were saved on your HD when you installed TExaS in step 2). These slide shows demonstrate the process to install windows drivers for the LaunchPad board specific for your operating system: Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8.
Step 3) Windows drivers for the MSP432 LaunchPad board
Install drivers after steps 1 and 2 are complete. We recommend all MSP432 users (red and black) to download and update to the latest drivers. You will need to create a TI account, but it is free (again you will need this account to do Lab 6).
Step 4) RTBN Lab graders, second part
Download TExaS for Lab 6 saving the 40M file on your computer. This installer adds four components to the RTBN course. 1) Lab 6: Bluetooth. There are four BLE projects available as you learn Bluetooth, all of which require the CC2650 LaunchPad or CC2650 BoosterPack. VerySimpleApplicationProcessor_xxx is a barebones BLE example. ApplicationProcessor_xxx is a more abstract BLE example. There are two lab 6 starter projects, one project based on Lab 1, and another based on Lab 3. The Lab6wLab1_xxx project will run without an operating system. The Lab6wLab3_xxx project requires the OS with blocking semaphores from Lab 3.
2) Logic analyzer There is a new project called TExaSDisplay that shows the inner workings of the TExaS logic analyzer. The TM4C123 version of this project also adds an oscilloscope.
3) Hand-help video game There is also a new ungraded Lab 4 that runs a hand held video game. If you finish your regular lab 4 you can import your Lab 4 OS into this project and run the video game. This version of the OS has dynamic thread creation and destruction. In particular, you can add threads one at time at run time. Furthermore, a thread can kill itself (OS_Kill), freeing its resources. This system supports up to 20 threads and uses PendSV to launch a new thread during OS_Kill();
4) Bug fixes. This installer includes the fix of the MSP432 bug that incorrectly set the clock speed to 48 MHz.